The winter months are typically a time when some people want to slow down the pace of life – spend time with friends and family and put on hold some of the real-life tasks (they believe) are better completed in the spring, summer and fall.
House hunting should not be one of them.
In fact, house hunting through the winter season provides some benefits that looking through the course of others don’t.
Here are some good reasons why your agents and brokers at American Dream Realty believe you should remain in the game through winter:
- It’s a good time to test the operating systems of the homes. Issues with items such as heating, roofing, gutters and plumbing are easily detected in the winter. If you’re house hunting during an actual snow event, you’ll spot problems with these systems even more easily.
- You’ll more likely get better mortgage rates. Because they’re are fewer people applying, mortgages are easier to get and rates will be better than during other times of the year.
- Deals. Deals. Deals. Sellers who keep their home on the market during the winter are typically needing to sell, so you’ll more likely to get an acceptance of a lower offer than other times of the year.
- Less competition. People do not want to house hunt when it’s cold out and the weather is sketchy. This means that if you find your dream home, you’ll be less likely to wind up in a bidding war.
If you’re steadfast in keeping the hunt alive during the winter, be mindful of these things as well:
- Have an agent (like the ones here at American Dream Realty) that won’t disappear during the holidays.
- Be sure to get an extended home warranty.
While it may take a little bit of time to find your ‘castle’ this time of the year, your persistence (and ours) will most assuredly pay off in the long run.