Having strangers waltz through your dwelling may seem like an alarming thought, but the mere notion of having an open house will make your house much more appealing to potential home buyers. Open houses generate more interest for your home, and it allows potential buyers to take your home for a “test drive”. Generally, the seller is not present for the open house, but it’s totally your right to decide if you want to. With that being said, we’ve compiled a few tips on how to make your open house go a lot smoother, and in return, getting your house to sell faster.
- Answer visitors at the door. Although you are having an “open house”, you don’t need to literally keep your door open. Keep it locked, and greet every visitor who comes to the door with a smile and a handshake. It not only sets a good first impression, but it also serves as a security measure.
- Play music in the background. For some reason, humans have an easier time remembering details if there is music present. So pull out those speakers or that stereo system, and play some light tunes to keep the mood uplifting and pleasant. Turn a local radio station, or if your speakers are hooked up to your phone or computer, play a station like “Easy Listening Radio” on Pandora Internet Radio, or something similar. Keep it light, and something that would fit everyone’s musical palate.
- Make sure your home has a nice, sweet aroma to it. Just like with music, humans remember more if there is a pleasant smell present. To do this, you can lay out incense sticks, candles, spread cinnamon on the floor and vacuum it up (we kid you not—try it), or bake a quick batch of cookies.
- Spread out information packets around your home. Don’t leave them in one location where visitors may overlook them, spread them all around. In the bedroom, bathrooms, basement, garage, everywhere! You don’t want any potential buyer leaving without or overlooking one!
- Finally, just be yourself. You don’t have to try to impress anyone—let your home do that for you. After you greet your guests, let them explore at their leisure, and be sure to answer any questions they may have.
Those are our tips, but if you have any more questions on preparing for an open house, or if you’re not sure if staying for an open house is right for you, please consult one of our American Dream agents. We’d love nothing more than to put your mind at ease and answer any questions before (and after) the closing date!